kale and mushroom lasagna with butternut bechamel sauce
We made this as one of the main dishes for our awesome thanksgiving dinner. The sauce on this lasagna is my favorite part… It’s creamy and toasty but the lemon zest really gives it a kick! Adapted from theKitchn.
- 1 pound (about 16) lasagna noodles
- 2 to 2 1/2 pound butternut squash (or 2 pounds chopped squash)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large bunch (about 5 large leaves) chard, well-washed
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup water or white wine
- 1 cup soy or almond milk, plus additional if needed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves, plus extra for the top of the lasagna
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan and mozzarella cheese mix
Preheat oven to 375 F and bring a large pot of water to a boil to cook the lasagna noodles in. Peel and seed the squash, cut into 1-inch cubes and toss with 1 tbs olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes or until very soft.
In the meantime, peel the leaves off the stem kales and cut up coarsely. Heat oil in medium-high heat and sauté mushrooms until very brown; 7-10 minutes. Lower heat and add garlic, cooking until fragant – about 3 minutes. Add the chopped kale and 1/4 cup white wine (water if you don’t have it) until the leaves are tender and wilted. Turn off heat and season vegetables lightly with salt and pepper.
Back to the butternut: when it’s ready, allow it to cool slightly and purée in food processor with nutmeg, lemon zest and thyme, slowly incorporating the milk. Add a little more milk if necessary to make the sauce smooth and creamy – think thin fruit smoothie. Add salt and pepper to taste.
To assemble the lasagna, follow these layers:
- 1/4 of the butternut sauce, spread thinly across the bottom
- 3-4 lasagna noodles; enough to cover dish, 1/4 of the butternut sauce, 1/2 of the cooked vegetables, 1/2 cup of cheese
- 3-4 noodles, 1/4 butternut sauce, rest of the vegetables, 1/2 cup of cheese
- 3-4 noodles, last of the sauce, 1/2 cup of cheese
And a bit of thyme for garnish!
Cover the lasagna with a foil and bake at 375 F for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for to 10 15 minutes or until the top is golden and the cheese is gooey. Remove from the oven and let stand a few minutes before serving.